At University you will write assignments in many formats but most require the same standard of academic writing. You need to grasp two main concepts - what it is and how to write it but, to get you started, there 5 key features:
- Objective - based on facts and research rather than feelings or opinions.
- Formal language - make your point clearly and accurately, and develop language appropriate to your subject.
- Passive voice - this means concentrating on the action which has taken place rather than who performed it. This involves not using personal pronouns (for example: I, we, me, our) unless you are writing a reflection.
- Structured - you need to plan your work so that it guides the reader step by step from the introduction, through your argument supported by evidence, to the conclusion.
- Includes citations and references - an essential part of academic writing is to provide evidence of research and acknowledge your sources.