The Digital Skills Awareness course is for students that are about to start university or those in need of a bit more confidence, and provides guidance on the foundation-level digital skills they will need for a successful learning experience at university.
About the course
The Digital Skills Awareness online course was developed for higher education institutions by The Bloomsbury Learning Exchange (BLE), the digital education partnership for the Bloomsbury institutions and the University of London, and has been tailored for local use by Staffordshire University Library staff.
The course outlines the key digital skills students need for their studies, and helps them identify the skills they have and the ones they need to acquire or improve. While the course does not focus explicitly on developing digital skills, it does provides tips from a variety of sources including university staff and student support, as well as helpful resources and videos.
There are four topics:
- General technologies (working with files, Microsoft Office applications, browsers and search engines)
- Learning technologies (online learning environments, forums, assignments/assessments and video)
- Access, sharing and safety (accounts/access, safety, social media and sharing)
- Getting organised (notetaking, referencing and digital wellbeing)
Access the course
Enrolling on the course
This is an online self-paced Learn course. To enrol, please follow these steps:
Self Enrol onto the course; Digital skills awareness course
You should now have the access to the course via your blackboard
Digital Skills for Starting Higher Education MOOC
In 2022, the BLE launched the Digital Skills for Starting Higher Education MOOC on the FutureLearn platform introducing prospective students to the important skills, systems, and core technologies for learning to help them succeed at university and Higher Education. Delivered over a three-week learning period, the course takes just a few hours each week to complete and covers similar content to the original online course including:
- Week 1: The Learning Environment;
- Week 2: Foundations of Digital Study;
- Week 3: Digital Safety & Wellbeing.